Sparkling Star Calamari
A favourite on the festival circuit and sure to be a favourite at home!
- Firstly if you are using fresh squid, rinse in cold water and remove the stomach and cartridge.
- Slice the squid into 1cm rings, keep the tentacles as these are the best bits!
- Dry on kitchen paper and mix the corn flour and Captain Cat's Mor seasoning together in a bowl.
- If you do not have a temperature probe in the kitchen then buy one, they are so useful!
- Set your deep-fat fryer to 180C and fill with oil, if using a frying pan then half fill it with the oil, enough basically to cover the squid rings and heat the oil up to temperature. To check the oil is at the right temperature, drop a 2-3cm cube of bread into the hot oil. It should become golden and crispy in 1 minute.
- Place the squid in a bowl and make sure each ring has a good coating of rub.
- Gently place the squid in the hot oil and fry for around a minute. Remember too long and the squid will be tough so speed is essential here.
- Remove from oil, drain on kitchen paper and serve with fresh salad leaves, lemon, garlic mayo and dusted with Welshman's Caviar.
- 250g Squid (fresh is best)
- Rapeseed Oil
- 3 tbsp of Corn flour
- 2 tbsp Garlic Mayo
- Handful of fresh salad leaves
- Sprinkle of Welshman's Caviar
- 1 tbsp of Captain Cat's Mor Seasoning