Steamed Mussels on a bed of bladderwrack seaweed
A great dish to cook on the beach, fresh mussels, fresh bladderwrack, bring some lemons, pan and tin foil with you and your away! Oh and some form of heat, beach fire or gas?
- First thing is to check your mussels, most shop brought mussels have been prepared for you but always worth checking for dirt on the shell and that the beards have been pulled off.
- Give your mussels a quick rinse in the sea and put to one side.
- Time to put the pan on the fire, put your bladderwrack in and then around an inch of seawater (enough so the bladderwrack is half covered) and then add your lemons, squeezing some juice into the pan.
- Cover the pan with tin foil and bring the seawater to boil.
- Once you have lots of steam coming out of the pan, put the mussels in the pan and cover again with tin foil.
- Check the pan in approx 5 mins and as soon as the mussels have opened, take the pan off the fire and dish up.
- Serve with fresh baguettes and salted butter.
- 2 kg mussels
- Lemons quartered
- Fresh Bread
- Welsh Sea Black Butter